Monday, April 14, 2008

Orenstein Post

Premise
-Race
-Culture
-Understanding
-Gender
-Neglect
-Ignorance
-Privledge

Arguement
Orenstein's arguement to me is not too far off from Johnson. I beleive that Orenstein beleives that there are too many problems and confrontations out ther that are not being taken care of in any way shape or form. People today try to exclude themselves from theses problems leaving them with a "good concious" because they are not getting into the middle of it. The problem is however that they are the source of the problem. Because nobody decided to ever speak about "privledge" which continues to be a reoccuring word, nothing is ever done to solve the problem. Ignorance and procrastination seem to be the source of the problem, and although there are some people who are trying to make a change, they fall in the minority.

"Women are one-half of the world's people; they do two-thirds of the world's work; they earn one tenth of the world's income; they own one one-hundreth of the world's property."

"At the time I wondered how the boys, who could only see male experience as relevant, would ever learn to see girls as equals."

"I don't know why they didn't beleive me,...Every time I gave them information it was good information. It was good this time too."

Unfortunatly, I really was not able to read this book word for word. However, I strongly beleive that this is probably the most interesting peices that we have read so far. A lot of the stories that I read through were really interesting and kept my attention. I think the most grabbing was by far the last short story. As I have said in my other blogs, I think that all these reads tie into each other one way or another, and the main arguement that I think can sum up a lot of all this is what Johnson points out. I think that there are a lot of points and interesting facts that definatly relate in this case. Overall, I think that the read was great, and am really looking foward to reading throught it again.

No comments: