Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rodriguez Post

Premise
-Language
-Barriers
-Alienation
-Safe Zones
-Adaption

Arguement
Rodriguez argues that like Delpit, individuals should not have to feel like they have to submit themselves or feel like they need to adapt to another culture's, not only language, but any type of lifestyle, in order to gain acceptance and to be successfull.

Evidence
"'Is it possible for you and your husband to encourage your children to practice their English when they are home? Of course, my parents complied. What wuld they not do for their children's well-being."

"One Saturday morning, I entered the kitchen where my parents were talking in Spanish. I did not realize that they were talking in SPanish however until, at the moment they saw me, I heard their voices change to speak English."

"The family's quiet was partly due to the fact taht, as we children leanred more and more English, we shared fewer and fewer words with our parents... The child would need to repeat himself. The young voice, frustrated, would end up saying, 'Never mind'".

I think tha all of these examples of evidence can make it clear that if just trying to adapt to a differnt language in the home can tear apart a family. Although language barriers are definatly not easy to overcome, this shows how hard other things may be when trying to adapt to a "higher power culture".

No comments: